INTERNAL & EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
Location: Swift Current Branch
Position Title: Library Assistant 2 (Casual)
Start Date: As soon as possible
Rate of Pay: $14.89 (step 1)
Number of Positions: 2
The Swift Current Branch Library is seeking a Casual Library Assistant 2 with excellent customer service skills to work in a busy environment. Strong computer and technical skills are required.
Under the direction of the Branch Manager or Circulation Supervisor, the successful applicant will perform a complete range of clerical duties necessary for the operation of the branch, including assisting patrons and performing specialized responsibilities as assigned.
This is a casual position to fill in for vacant shifts as needed.
- Carries out all tasks related to the circulation of materials
- Assists patrons in the use of specialized equipment, e.g. photocopier, scanner, microfilm readers, public access computers, tablets & eReaders
- Maintains the general library materials collection by shelving and shelf reading print materials
- Other related duties as assigned
- Assists in children’s and adult programs as needed
These duties may change according to the needs of the branch.
- Grade 12, plus some post-secondary education preferred
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office, keyboarding speed of 35 wpm, strong Internet searching skills
- Familiarity with the Chinook Regional Library website and the library circulation system is an asset
- Understanding and appreciation of the philosophy of public library service to people of different ages and cultural backgrounds
- Experience with customer service in a busy environment
- Able to respond with tact, politeness and good judgment to the needs of patrons
- Familiar with public library collections and resources; knowledge of Dewey Decimal System
- Able to stand for periods of time, able to bend and shelve books, able to move library furniture as needed, able to lift boxes of books up to 18 kg.
- Able to work with minimum supervision
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Required to obtain Safe Places Certification which includes an online training program, and RCMP Criminal Record & Vulnerable Sector Check.
Please apply in writing outlining your qualifications and experience to Andrea McCrimmon, Manager, Swift Current Branch, at firstname.lastname@example.org Review of applications will begin on July 13, 2020. We thank all those who apply, however, due to the volume of applications, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.