JOB POSTING 1 – Internal & External
Position Title: Library Assistant 2 (Permanent Part Time)
Location: Swift Current Branch
Start Date: As soon as possible
Rate of Pay: $14.46 (step 1)
- Tuesdays 12:30-9 (with 1 hour meal break)
- Wednesdays 5:00-9:00
- Thursdays 12:30-5:00
- Fridays 8:30-5:00 (with 1 hour meal break)
- Two Saturdays per month 10:00-2:00
The Swift Current Branch Library is seeking a Part-time Library Assistant 2 with excellent customer service skills to work in a busy environment. Strong computer and technical skills are required. For internal candidates, any of these hours may be combined with existing part-time hours. Extra shifts are available, and it is an asset to have flexible availability.
Under the direction of the Circulation Supervisor or Branch Manager, the successful applicant will perform a complete range of clerical duties necessary for the operation of the branch, including assisting patrons and performing specialized responsibilities as assigned.
- Carries out all tasks related to the circulation of materials
- Assists patrons in the use of specialized equipment, e.g. photocopier, scanner, microfilm readers, public access computers, tablets & eReaders
- Maintains the general library materials collection by shelving and shelf reading print materials
- Other related duties as assigned
- Assists in children’s, young adult, and adult programs as needed
These duties may change according to the needs of the branch.
- Grade 12, plus some post-secondary education preferred
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office, keyboarding speed of 35 wpm, strong Internet searching skills
- Familiarity with the Chinook Regional Library website and the library circulation system is an asset
- Understanding and appreciation of the philosophy of public library service to people of different ages and cultural backgrounds
- Experience with customer service in a busy environment
- Able to respond with tact, politeness and good judgment to the needs of patrons
- Familiar with public library collections and resources; knowledge of Dewey Decimal System
- Able to stand for periods of time, able to bend and shelve books, able to move library furniture as needed, able to lift boxes of books up to 18 kg.
- Able to work with minimum supervision
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Must have or obtain Safe Places Certification which includes an online training program, and RCMP Criminal Record & Vulnerable Sector Check.
Please apply in writing outlining your qualifications and experience to Andrea McCrimmon, Manager, Swift Current Branch, at firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Wed. September 18, 2019.